In most cases, brewing the perfect cup of tea is as simple as adding boiling water to a couple tablespoons of tea and steeping for 15-45 seconds. While Russian tea needs a little more finesse, we’ve distilled the process to the essentials and the result is a superb black tea recipe that will dramatically improve your tea brewing vocabulary.
- 3 tbs. Samovar Tolstoy’s Sip Organic Black Tea
- 2 tbs. Organic Strawberry Jam
- Milk to taste, optional
- Organic Samovar Sweet Crystals to taste, optional
Russian tea combines zavarka, concentrated black tea, with kipyatok, hot water served (when possible!) from a samovar, a traditional Russian tea kettle.
1. Prepare the Kipyatok
- This is just a fancy way of saying, bring water to a boil. Be sure to prepare enough for your whole party.
2. Prepare the Zavarka
- Rinse the inside of your teapot with boiling water, then while the teapot is still hot add 3 tbs. Tolstoy’s Sip Black Tea. Immediately cover and allow the steam to condition the leaves.
- After 5-10 seconds, add kipyatok, your boiling water.
- Stir in 2 tbs. of the best strawberry jam you can find.
3. Be Patient
- As Tolstoy wrote, “In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.” You are making a black tea concentrate so steep for at least 15 minutes. If using the Vivid Brewpot, you should see all the leaves sink.
- Add equal parts zavarka and kipyatok to your teacup.
- Add milk and sweetener to taste.
5. Expert Tip
- Create an endless pot of tea by keeping at least half the tea concentrate in your teapot, and simply adding more boiling water–and jam–to keep the tea going for up to 3 hours.
Congratulations! You’re halfway to a steaming cup of traditional Russian tea. Let us help you take the next steps. Order this week and save 20% on all sizes of Tolstoy’s Sip, plus Samovar Sweet Crystals with coupon code Tolstoy20 (good through Sunday, 11/4/12).
3.5 Ounce Tea Box: $19 – $13.30, save $5.70
1 Pound Bag: $74 – $51.80, save $22.20
4 Pound Bag: $278 – $194.60, save $83.40
Samovar Sweet Crystals: $14 – $9.80, save $4.20
FREE Episode: How To Taste Tea The Samovar Way
Engage all your senses as you learn the art and practice of tasting tea. Enter your email and we’ll send you details to unlock this episode of The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide To Tea, for FREE.
How Did You Like It?
We’d love to hear how you like it! Please, share your comments below.